You've successfully subscribed to WorldRemit Technology Blog
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to WorldRemit Technology Blog
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Success! Your billing info is updated.
Billing info update failed.
Onfido - a new way of user verification

Onfido - a new way of user verification

. 2 min read

| Image by Spencer Davis via Unsplash Copyright-free

Between May 2018 and September 2019 WorldRemit had a significant number customers who passed through the Jumio flow. For those who have not heard of Jumio, this is an online mobile payments and identity verification system. Jumio successfully verified and approved 73% of the clients, while the remaining 27% had problems uploading their ID. These issues were related to either ending the flow or receiving a response that the image was not readable.

Customers who passed through the flow successfully can be grouped into the following categories:

  • 69.5%  of accepted customers were verified on the first attempt
  • 30.5%  had subsequent attempts before success
    - 82%  passed on the second attempt
    - 17%  passed on the third attempt

Additionally, some customers also encountered an error which prevented Jumio from reading their ID. This was due to a lack of clear information in Jumio about the problem that the photo that the client had sent could have had (no clear information whether the photo is blurry, blemished or illegible.) Within the 17 month time frame roughly 51% of customers retried to verify, and 42% of these were successfully verified by Jumio.

As our ambition is to be one step ahead of the competition, therefore implemented Onfido. Onfido is a software company that helps businesses to verify people's identities using photo-based identity documents, selfie and artificial intelligence algorithms. Onfido SDK is widely used by large companies such as:

  • Revolut
  • Remitly
  • Orange
  • Couchsurfing

In WorldRemit Onfido, the flow begins on the Transfer Status page. If the customer has not been verified, a call to action appears in the timeline: "Upload your ID", as in the image below. When you click this button, the Onfido process starts and the customer can go through it smoothly by checking the documentation in real time.

Picture 1. Process of uploading image

It should be mentioned that the implementation of Onfido has given us many benefits, such as:

  • Real-time user validation (glare and blur detection)
  • Smooth and simple verification process
  • Minimised effort from our customers
  • The ability to scale up quickly and safely, which is crucial

Picture 2. Processed report via Onfido with results (Onfido dashboard)

Figure 2 shows the verification of the identification process, where readability and simplicity matter. This allows WorldRemit support teams to easily identify validation issue and provide clear customer support and guidance.

Summary

The Onfido implementation brought us many benefits. Most importantly these are a smooth and simple verification process and minimised effort for our customers. Everything we do at WorldRemit is for our customers and we want to make their lives easier.